Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse)

Hunger - Jackie Kessler Ok I didn't love this book but I didn't quite hate it either. I loved the idea of an anorexic girl becoming one of the horsemen of the apocalypse, Famine. You wouldn't expect that now would ya? To me that was a very risky, but unique idea.

I didn't quite understand the fact that the author thinks of anorexia as being a disease. To me its a choice. So I really don't agree when the author says its a disease.

When I first got this book I was shocked that it was under 200 pgs. I thought this would be a easy fast paced book that would only take me a day or two to read. Sadly it took me a few days longer than I hoped. I had to put this book down more than a few times because it didn't catch my interest. It would have been exciting to read if it explained the four horsemen a little more or lisa's adventures as famine more. More than half the book deals with her "eating" disorder. Which is fine but I was expecting more adventure less anorexic behavior.

Overall this is not what I expected. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had a eating disorder or understood them more.

Good points:
.New look at the hot n sexy version of the one and only Death. I will never think of him the same way again.
. Sends out a great message to teens
. I love the cover :) very unique and caught my eye right away.
. Taking a girl with eating problems and turning her into Famine, love the idea.
.Death!!(Have major crush on him!)

Down points:
.Length of the book. Wish it was longer, more explained.
. I didn't really connect with the main character...:/
. Not enough writing about the four horsemen, just kinda jumped into it right away without decent explanation.
. Wish we read more about Lisa's adventures as Famine, ended way too quickly for my taste.
. Couldn't keep my interest.

Even though it has more down points than good points I'm gonna rate this book 3.5 stars. It has potential for a series and I'm quite curious to see how the author writes the next books in this series. And I hope we see Death more ;)

I'd recommend this book to teens who know or are dealing with eating disorders.